Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw with Tarragon
Crunchy and refreshing salad with kohlrabi and apple matchsticks
For the salad:
- 2 small Kohlrabi cut into matchsticks (or one small)
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple cut into matchsticks (any apple will work)
- 1/4 C Fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
For the Dressing:
- Lemon Zest, to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix first 3 ingredients for salad
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Toss salad with dressing and sprinkle with sunflower seeds
Wondering what kohlrabi is? It's that space ship looking thing that we see each summer at farmers markets. Or is shows up in your CSA and you think, "What is that; and what do I do with it?". Here's an easy starting place to get to know the vegetable. I think it tasted sort of like the stalk of the broccoli plant. Not a ton of flavor on its own; but adds a refreshing crunch to whatever you put it in.